Not only does May signify the true beginning of a long-awaited season filled with flowers in bloom and sunshine in New England, it also marks one of the most famous Mexican celebrations: Cinco de Mayo! While many of us immediately associate this holiday with delicious food & refreshing cervezas, it’s important to acknowledge that this day truly represents a celebration of Mexican heritage, as well as Mexican-American culture in the U.S.
So how do you ensure that your fiesta is set up for success? Here’s a checklist that includes everything from party decorations & ideas to appetizers, dinner recipes and cocktail creations:
First thing’s first – Add some flair to your fiesta:
- If you’re planning a kid-friendly party, a colorful pinata filled with goodies is always a hit!
- If you really want to liven up your gathering, hire a Mariachi band to serenade your crowd with authentic Mexican music.
- Want to look & act the part? Accessorize with sombreros, shake the night away with maracas, and outfit your tableware with festive & fun Mexican-themed items.
Kick off your celebración con la comida tradicional:
- Fresh & Homemade: Who doesn’t love to start off an evening of Mexican fare with salsa & guac? If you don’t want to do the work but want the taste of authenticity, check out the local products available at Nola’s Fresh Foods!
- Hunger is ‘nacho problem: …as long as you load up your spread with a variety of mouthwatering platters. From beef and chicken to refried beans, black beans, spicy jalapenos, gooey melted Monterey Jack cheese from Cabot Creamery & more, your guests will be gushing about your tasty toppings & the crispy Mi Nina Tortilla chips you so wisely choose as your vehicle of goodness! Need some inspo? Check out our easy, vegetarian Black Bean Nachos recipe!
Let’s Taco ‘Bout the Main Event:
- No Cinco de Mayo feast is complete without an array of tasty taco recipes. The good news is, we’ve got you covered on that front. From veggie options to fish and fusion creations, there’s no shortage of unique & easy ways to make this traditionally simple dish as delicious as possible. Especially if they’re made with fresh corn tortillas from local partner Vermont Tortilla Company!
- Wrap it up with a burrito bar! The only problem with burritos? They tend to spill the beans… that one landed, didn’t it? If you’re looking for a simple yet satisfying recipe, try our filling & flavorful Vegetarian Bean Burrito!
- Margarita Magic: Keep the ingredients to a minimum and sip on a classic marg as you enjoy the evening’s festivities.
- More of a beer drinker? Make sure to fill your cooler with Modelo, Corona, Dos Equis, Sol & the like.
- Turn it up a notch with a fruity concoction like Mexican Sangria!
- Cheers to churros! A fan favorite among children & adults alike, traditional Mexican churros are a perfect way to end the night.
Have party planning advice to share? We’d love to hear!